Poedit is a software (available for Windows, Mac and Linux) that is used to translate the theme or plugin. It’s available for free on poedit.net. Free version comes with a builtin translation memory that remembers your past translations and uses them to make suggestions for similar texts.
This program has a Pro version that enhances Poedit with additional features and benefits such as dedicated WordPress support, Word Count, etc. It costs $19.99.
Here are the steps to use poedit for translation:
1. Open Poedit and select File > New Catalog from POT / PO file
2. Select the .POT file or the .PO file from the theme or plugin you wish to translate (you can find the files in the wp-content/themes/your-theme/language/ folder).
3. A box will pop up asking for language of the translation. Select your language:
4. Hit OK and Poedit will automatically name your files. If you select Spanish (Spain): es_ES.po
5. Save your files in your computer.
6. Now you can start translating theme or plugin. The space at the top will display all the text ready to translate, and any completed translations will display to the right. The boxes underneath show the source text, your translation and any notes for translators. Translating is really easy – just select a word or phrase, enter your translation and click “Validate”.
- You have to respect all special characters from the original text when translating (look at the screen capture)
- It´s not necessary to translate all text strings. Perhaps you don´t want to spend your time translating text strings of the admin theme.
7. When you’ve finished, save your file. Poedit will automatically create both .po and .mo files. You´ll have to upload both to your theme’s languages folder.
That’s all you need to do for translating theme. Do click on LIKE button is this article was helpful.